Monday, July 19, 2010

Around Yamasa

I realized that I haven’t posted any pictures of my actual site… So, here we go!

Here is my host family’s house! The top is my host sister’s one-room apartment, the bottom right part is the little store my host dad runs, and the bottom left part is the actual house.

IMG_0852

This is my room in my host family’s house.

IMG_0836

My lightbulb, towel, and clothes line

IMG_0847

This is the bathroom. To shower, you just splash some water from the blue drum. 

IMG_0838

My host dad’s little store. You can buy a cap-full of oil, thirty cents of sugar, half a can of condensed milk, etc.

IMG_0857

The neighborhood:

IMG_0851

IMG_0867

IMG_0866

IMG_0868

IMG_0875

IMG_0886

Here is my CTC! Above it is the blue aqueduct building, where some houses in the town theoretically get their water.

IMG_0879

Notice the bright colors, odd shapes and textures, use of bars, disregard for meaningful use of space, and complete out-of-place-ness. Remember: these centers used to be SHIPPING CONTAINERS.

IMG_0888

More around the town:

IMG_0892

IMG_0901 

CHICKENS

IMG_0891 

That about covers half the town.  The other half is more colmados and little stores, and the town park.  I’ll take some more pictures next time I’m out that way. We are about an hour outside the capital, so pretty much everything is oriented that way.  Things are expensive, and the nearest supermarket is in the capital (Villa Mella). To go anywhere else in the country, you have to first go through Santo Domingo.

I’ll be here for the next two years!

No comments: