Monday, August 2, 2010

Sick.

So I’m in the capital.  I have dengue, but it isn’t a really bad case.  My eyes started hurting like hell on Thursday, and I called the Peace Corps doctors on Saturday, and they had me come in. 

Earlier on Saturday, Sugeidy and I went in to Villa Mella at 6am to go hunting for a bed/stove/gas tank/table, bought said items, and found a truck to carry them back to site (which HAPPENED to be driven by Sugeidy’s cousin.  She knows everyone in this country).  Then, I packed everything I had at my host family’s house, and transported it on the back of a friend’s brother’s moped.  In 3 trips.  And piled it in the middle of the floor of my new house. And then got in one of the last cars leaving Yamasa to Santo Domingo.

I thought my eyes were just hurting because of staring at my computer for too long, and it wasn’t until the military gave me a flyer about dengue that I realized I had most of the symptoms. 

So, I have three free nights in the capital, in a hotel room with AC, hot water, and satellite TV, and am getting paid per diem too.  So, it isn’t too bad, and all i have to do is poop in a cup a few times, and have my blood checked every once in a while.  Pizza Hut even delivers to the hotel! I’m feeling good, the Peace Corps doctors are calling me every few hours, and they stop by and check in.  No DR volunteers have ever died from dengue, and if anything serious happens, they’ll send me to the States.  But everything is good, i’m feeling better, and am on the uptick.

My CTC is having a youth summer camp this week, and they cancelled the first day because I wasn’t there.  I let them know that it is OK for them to go ahead with it, and sent them all the water conservation information I have from Peace Corps.  Elvis is leaving tomorrow, so I’ll be the only male working in the CTC…. eeeek!

 

Here are some pictures from Yamasa:

IMG_1235 

IMG_1244

2 comments:

iimay said...

Glad you're recovering and that your case isn't too serious! Enjoy the luxuries of the hospital. :)

Allison H. said...

Hope you're feeling better!