Saturday, June 4, 2011

Still site changing…

I’m trying to get the floor poured in my new house, but it’s a lucha since I’m not there. So, I’m going to move to Chloe’s for a while until the new place gets set up. In the mean time, I’ve been spending some quality time with Bean!

  IMG_0883

Bean made friends with a goat. He looks like a fatty in this picture because he still hadn’t digested the pounds of white rice, chicken bones, and full-cream milk and oil that doña feeds him when I´m not there. 

IMG_0855

Some of the other volunteers in Monte Plata threw me a going away party. We made pancakes, went to the park, and ate street food.  It figures that I find out Yamasa has amazing empanadas (better than El Seibo, even) right before leaving. 

IMG_0866

A few weeks ago, we had the All Volunteer Conference, where everyone descends on the capital for a day of meetings and charlas, etc. It also means… Peace Corps prom! The theme was “Tígueres of the Caribbean,” and it was a much-needed break from everything. 

IMG_0722

ALSO: I figured out how to make rice without measuring anything! It even came out with the crunchy layer of burnt rice on the bottom, concón, that is so good that it´s worth throwing out all the rest of the rice to get to.  I brought some rice over to my doña to prove that I can actually cook, and she refused to believe that I had made it until she tasted it and declared that it had too much garlic. Then, she put her hand to her head and said that she had to sit down because it would lower her blood pressure too much if she tried any more. 


This is Batey 8, way out in the middle of kilometers of sugar cane fields. 

IMG_0663

IMG_0667

Mas, Chloe, Guitana, and Sarah, walking down the road to Batey 9.

IMG_0673

No comments: