Monday, June 14, 2010

La Barca Tipica

On Saturday night, the CTC had a fundraiser at the local car wash (car washes turn into clubs at night.  This explains why they have bars).  It was pretty great, with live bachata/merengue music, and a huge turnout.  I think they actually…lost…money, due to confusion, poor door management, and people sneaking in.  I had an urge to take charge, but the last time I did that the military started arresting people.

Here’s a shot of (from left to right) my host sister, Elli; the adult literacy teacher, Diosmaris; my project partner and the radio coordinator, Sugeidy; and a random woman who jumped in the picture.

IMG_1016 

Just for comparison, here is a typical shot of volunteers at a car wash. You can see that we have a lot of cultural sharing to do.

IMAGE_121

Live music!

IMG_1017

Lots of people!

IMG_1069

I am convinced that there is only one bachata song and one merengue song.  Sometimes, they may play it faster or slower, but I think it is still the same song.

No comments: