Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Election Results

The municipal election results came in, and apparently, people weren't too happy.  There are calls of massive fraud, etc, and there is talk of a re-vote.

http://www.cosasdelcibao.net/2010/05/protesta-del-prd-en-yamasa-deja-tres-heridos-y-el-pueblo-paralizado/

"Militants" from the Dominican Revolutionary Party (which is oddly right-wingish and nonrevolutionary, as much as any party here has a platform or vision), protested the other party's win, resulting in three injured.  The video makes it look much worse than it was-- besides a bunch of military people in the streets, everything seemed normal to me.  My Dona didn't let me out of the house most of the day, but in the evening I went for a long run through the campo.  I discovered a little hamlet called San Antonio, where flocks of barefoot kids ran with me on muddy roads littered with fallen mangos.  At least you can see a bit of my town in the video-- just ignore the fires and smoke bombs.

It is really quite pretty, I'll take some pictures sometime.

1 comment:

Katy Williams said...

Because you downplayed the bit about the politics and unrest (smallish, but still not restful), I'm just going to play the scene with you on a mango-littered street, smiling as you're being chased playfully by shoeless children running after you through my head like a scene in an overly romantic movie.

Directed by the guy who did The Notebook. But with mangoes and running, this time, rather than rain and kissing.