Monday, February 14, 2011

CTC Radio

I’m a radio DJ! Today was the first day of La Hora Americana, the American Hour, on 107.9 Radio CTC Yamasa.  Here’s my first playlist:

  • One Republic- Everybody loves me
  • Adele- Chasing Pavements
  • Good Charlotte- Dance floor anthem
  • Santogold- LES Artistes
  • Metro Station- Disco
  • Mute math- Electrify
  • Klaxons- Golden skans
  • One Republic- All the right moves
  • The Ataris- Boys of summer
  • 44- 155
  • Jimmy Eat World- Sweetness
  • Tracks like Trains- Eskimo
  • The Arcade Fire- Rebellion
  • The Postal Service- The district sleeps alone tonight
  • Miike Snow- Song for no one
  • The Temper Trap- Fader
  • Florence + The Machine- Cosmic love
  • Coldplay- Lost!
  • Coldplay- Viva la vida
  • Ratatat- Kennedy
  • U2- Where the streets have no name
  • U2- Sunday bloody sunday
  • U2- With or without you

All this is preceded by an evangelical prayer show, which is pretty much an hour or so of solid chanting, wailing, yelling, and auditory agony, punctuated by spanish gospel-bachata-soft rock. I got to the broadcast room at 8:50am, ready to start at 9, and they were just ending a prayer-shouting session. Well, I thought they were… it went on for a solid 25 minutes longer, by which time Sugeidy appeared and asked why I hadn’t just kicked them out already.

It was pretty cool. I had talked on the radio before, but this was the first time I did it solo.

This afternoon I’m starting a Photoshop course.  It’ll be interesting.  My plan is to make it project-based, instead of just teaching off of Powerpoint… we’ll see how that goes.

I’m looking for a cat. Since my last post, 4 more tomato bushes have appeared in my yard. If I can do that (I’m totally taking credit for it), I can deal with a cat. However, it doesn’t look like Yamasa has many cats available for free. I saw one in front of a house the other day, and seriously thought about swiping it, but I hesitated, and kids came out of the house. So close. There is the crazy cat woman in Santo Domingo who tried to pass off a cat in a bag to us that one time, but I don’t think I ever want to interact with her again. Sugeidy thinks I should get a dog, because they’re less work than cats. I tried to explain that American dogs are actually more work, but that concept was lost.

3 comments:

lute_of_jubal said...

Hey!!! This won't be for a couple of months yet, so you might not be interested, but I'd really like to find a good home for my cat, Iago, when I leave. I'm going to be moving around too much once I get back to make taking him home and keeping him happy feasible. :^( I'm really sad to leave him, but I think the best I can do for him is to give him another loving, volunteer home. Also, he's a big cat and will probably frighten away most of the ladrones and other creatures. ;^)

lute_of_jubal said...

lute_of_jubal is Amanda H, btw - I always forget to mention that.

__ said...

.... awesome playlist.

<3 Nebula