Sunday, February 6, 2011

Med Mission #2

100_0557

I spent the last week working in a clinic near Santiago with some other volunteers. The doctors were awesome, and it was a pretty great experience.  In the mornings we translated for patient intake, and in the afternoons we watched surgeries (and got to scrub in and help with a few). 

100_0558

They were doing bumps and lumps—hernias, sebaceous cysts, and lipomas. I learned how to do interrupted and subcuticle sutures, cut out lipomas, and some other stuff that’ll come in handy if I ever get into trouble in the campo. 

This med mission was so, so much better than the first one I did.  The doctors were all professional, they knew what they were doing, it was well-planned, and they taught us about all the procedures they were doing. 

There was another group of med students doing gyno stuff, and I ended up translating for their pap smears and breast exams too.  I think it was their first time ever in a room with patients before, and they didn’t know Spanish, so they did a pretty good job of looking freaked out.  It was as if they were reading off a list of steps to do, and couldn’t remember what step they were on. So, while they were wigging out, I just chatted with the patients and kept them from fleeing.

No comments: